Sunday, June 2, 2013

The greatest love story ever told

I was thinking the other day about what I would say to God if I were given the opportunity to be sitting in the same room with Him just having a conversation, face-to-face, for the very first time. After falling on my face before Him and Him picking me up off the floor, only two main things came to mind: "I'm sorry." and "Thank you." Of course there would be other things whirling through my brain as well, questions I've always wanted answers to, reasons why for this or that, but overall those two statements are all I could seem to get out when I played this scenario out in my head. Not without some elaboration, of course but I really don't think I would feel worthy enough to voice my opinion on anything else before setting a few things straight with the Big Man upstairs.

First things first, I feel like I would need to apologize. For everything. I'm sorry for my pride, for being rude, and selfish, and hateful. I'm sorry for letting my arrogance get the best of me and thinking I have all the answers. I'm sorry for assuming that I know what's best for me and for forgetting to look up and discuss things with You, my Creator. I'm sorry for not trusting You, for disrespecting You, for disgracing Your perfect name. I'm sorry for being stubborn, for choosing to go my own way instead of just following You like I know I should. I'm sorry for the times that I've rebelled and ran away from You and caused myself so much unnecessary heartache. I'm sorry for wrongfully blaming You for whatever turmoil was going on in my life instead of just running to You with my problems. I'm sorry for the times I've lost my temper, when I let anger win, and give-in to the temptation to let evil take over me instead of practicing self-control. I'm sorry for being a hypocrite and a terrible witness at times and for mocking You. I'm sorry for worshiping false idols like other people/relationships, money, and technology just to name a few. I put those things above my God, the Savior of my soul and for that I am truly ashamed. I'm sorry for being more concerned about my 'image' and how people perceive me than actually trying to be how You want me to be and working on my true character. I'm sorry for hurting You by not spending time with You, talking to You, and in Your Word. I'm sorry for being lazy and taking the easy way out. I'm sorry for being embarrassed and cowardice when it comes to being Your witness.  I am so sorry for breaking Your heart, time and time again with all the terrible things I continue to do over and over again. I am sorry, most of all, because you don't deserve this at all, not one little bit, You are perfect and I fail You time after time after time. From the very bottom of my heart I am sorry.

And God in all His magnificent glory, unending grace and tender love responds to my soul so broken and downcast within me like this: 'My child, you are forgiven. Go now and be free from all your sins. I have made you new and you will live with me in Paradise for eternity. For you are precious and honored and my sight and because I LOVE YOU.'

Completely beside myself with gratitude, I begin to weep. When I am able to compose myself all I can manage to get out is "Thank You." Thank You for loving me, unconditionally. Thank You for offering me grace upon grace that I never deserve and even before I ask. Thank You for never giving up on me but instead chasing after me. Thank You for teaching me, for molding me, for making me. Thank You for being patient with me and for giving me the free will to be able to choose. Thank You for not abandoning me when I make the wrong choice, which is more often than not. Thank You for using me even when I mess up and even when I don't even realize it. Thank You for working everything that happens in my life together for good, to accomplish some greater purpose that only You can see. Thank You for giving so freely, for so richly blessing me and for not giving me what I truly deserve. Thank You for my life and for all the people you've placed in it. Thank You for using any and every single circumstance in my life to get me one step closer to where I need to be, and for intricately designing me right down to every last little detail. Thank You for fearfully and wonderfully making me and for being well pleased with what You had done. Thank You for taking pride in me, for cheering me on, for comforting me when I am down and for giving me the strength and courage to rise up once again after I've fallen. Thank You for never leaving my side, and for fighting for me. Thank You for making the ultimate sacrifice of sending Your perfect and holy son who could do no wrong to the cross to be ridiculed, brutally beaten and finally killed to pay for my sins, an imperfect, unstable mess who most of the time can't seem to do anything right. I am in awe of You and all that You do, all that You are. Their are not enough words with big enough significance to even begin to describe how thankful I am. Spending an eternity worshiping you will only begin to scratch the surface of attempting to relay back to you the impact of your amazing greatness that not only touches, but overwhelms me every single day.

Mark 5:34 (NIV)

He said to her, “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering.”

18 


Isaiah 43: 18-19a




“Forget the former things;
    do not dwell on the past.
19 See, I am doing a new thing!



John 10:28 


28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.


Titus 3:7

so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.


Isaiah 43:4a


Since you are precious and honored in my sight,
    and because I love you,

1 Corinthians 2:9


However, as it is written:
“What no eye has seen,
    what no ear has heard,
and what no human mind has conceived”[a]
    the things God has prepared for those who love him—

1 Peter 5:10


10 And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.


John 3:16


16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Isaiah 41:10


10 So do not fear, for I am with you;
    do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment